Over the years, Filmfare Awards, given away by arguably the country’s largest-selling filmy journal ‘Filmfare’, have acquired a status which is almost equal to that of national awards for films in various categories announced by Govt. of India. It is then no wonder that superstar Rajinikanth’s last year’s colossal hit film Kabali has been nominated under 8 categories for this year’s Filmfare awards.
Filmfare organizes separate awards function for Hindi films and a combined, huge ‘Filmfare-South’ function to give away awards under various categories for Tamil, Malayalam, Telugu and Kannada films. Over the years, winning Filmfare awards have found an elite place in the bio-date of many celebrities including actors, actresses, music directors, playback singers, directors and other technicians.
Following is the list of categories under which Rajini’s Kabali has been nominated:
• Best Actor (Rajinikanth) – It may be recalled that Rajini has already won the coveted ‘Best actor’ Film fare award eight times in the past;
• Best Film (Kabali) – it would be vying with Irudhi Suttru, Visaranai, Joker, etc.;
• Best Director – Pa Ranjith (other nominees include Vetrimaaran and Gautham Vasudev Menon;
• Best Supporting Actress – Dhansikha (she would be competing for the award with the likes of Anupama Parameswaran, Aishwarya Rajesh, Raadhika and Nithya Menen);
• Best Music director – Santhosh Narayanan (his competitors for the award would be Anirudh Ravichander, Harris Jayaraj, G.V. Prakash Kumar & A.R. Rahman);
• Best lyricist – Arun Kamaraj (for Neruppudaa);
• Best Playback Singer – Male (Arun Kamaraj) (for Neruppudaa); and
• Best Playback Singer – Female (Swetha Menon) – (for Maaya Nadhi).