It would be an under-statement to say that ‘Mellisai Mannar’ (King of Melody) M.S. Viswanathan, who passed away early this week, has left an indelible impression in the minds of music-lovers as well as people from all walks of life. MSV’s mortal remains were cremated on Wednesday.
MSV, who attempted wide-ranging styles in composing music which suited all heroes from MGR to Vijayakanth, also has the distinction of providing ever-green songs to many playback singers and introducing playback singers of supreme talent. Let’s take a peep at those introduced by MSC who went on to make their own mark.
• Jayachandran (Song: Thangachimizh Pol Idhazho; Film: Manippayal)
• Vani Jayaram (Though she was introduced as playback singer by the last S.M. Subbaiah Naidu, it’s the song Malligai En Mannan Mayangum… from Dheerkasumangali which got her noticed by other music directors)
• Vasantha (Pottu Vaiththa Mugamo…. from Sumathi En Sundari)
• M.L. Srikanth (in Uththravindri Ulle Vaa)
• G.K. Venkatesh (in Paava Mannippu)
• Kalyani Menon (in Sujatha for the song Nee Varuvai Ena Naan Irundhen)
• Pushpalatha (in Rajapart Rangathurai)
• Savithri (in Vayasuponnu)
• Shaikh Mohammed (Kai Kotti Sirippaargal… from Apoorva Raagangal)
• Shobha Chandrasekar (in Nam Naadu)
• Lyricists Pulamaipiththan, Muthulingam, Naa Kamarasan and Roshnara Begum